There’s nothing quite like curling up on the sofa, with a blanket and a mug full of hot chocolate. Over the coming few weeks we'll be sharing some of our a favourite hot chocolate recipes. We dare you to give them a try!
This Blackberry Hot Chocolate is great for those who love a fruity twist to their drink. The great thing is, it’s not hard to make either!
- 200g blackberries (frozen or fresh)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole milk
- 120 g/ 4 1/4oz dark chocolate
- Optional: Whipped cream, mini marshmallows and extra blackberries
- If you're using frozen blackberries allow them to defrost in a small saucepan for 30 minutes. Otherwise,add the icing sugar to your blackberries and cook them on a moderate heat for around five minutes until the blackberries are soft and squishy.
- Push the cooked blackberries and juices through a sieve to create a coulis. Scrape the thick pulp from the outside of the sieve into the coulis as you go. Discard the seeds.
- Heat the milk until it’s boiling hot. Whilst the milk is heating up chop the chocolate and drop it into the base of a blender along with the vanilla extract.
- Pour the hot milk over the chocolate and allow it to sit for 1 minute.
- Reserve 1 tbsp of the blackberry coulis and put the rest into the blender, blitzing until the chocolate has melted and the drink is frothy.
- We now recommend taste testing to check the mix is hot and sweet enough, sweeten and reheat if necessary.
- Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream, marshmallows, a drizzle of the reserved blackberry coulis and a blackberry.
Recipe courtesy of The Little Sugar Snaps.